Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Kind Words From The Airport Man



As May 27th approaches--my excitement increases. I can't wait to see Italy again. I can't wait to teach again. I can't wait for the insane stories I will have by the time I leave in August. Working in Italy last summer was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. Being away from home didn't/doesn't bother me--but I never thought I would be able to teach, or would be given the opportunity to, or that I would even be good at it. Even with my first camp making me cry and yell and O.D. on geltato--it was worth it in the end--because if anything, the children now know a few songs about caterpillars, andddd can properly play mafia. Oops. 

As I approached the empty check-in counter at the airport, I was greeted with a kind smile--the man saw that I had a European backpack and asked me if I was going home. We got to talking, and I told him I was returning to Italy this summer to teach. He said,

"Make sure to enjoy it, because a lot of people don't get opportunities like this."

He made me realize how lucky I am. I might not be lucky financially, or materialistically, or whatever--but I have met some really amazing people, and I am slowly filling my awesome-story-bank. I wouldn't trade any of that for an Ipad. I'm really growing to love my need for travel, and exploration of cultures. I think I have learned the most about the world from everything I have seen. I will admit--I am a bit snobbier, especially when it comes to food. I laughed at the "Euro Restaurant " on my way to the gate. Their pastries ain't got shit on the ones in Nice, or Berlin. Sigh.  I am so ready for some amazing food.

It's strange how the universe looks out for us sometimes. Three summers ago when I was going through a terrible breakup and family problems--I received a letter from my Russian grandmother. We hadn't spoke in ten years, and she paid for me to fly to Russia with her for a few weeks. When I was in desperate need of a vacation for spring break this year, I woke up to find a random grant deposited into my bank account the next morning. When I was freaking out about not having a bit of money for my trip--I received a check in the mail. I promise I don't shit out hundreds. I wish. But I am really lucky sometimes. THANK YOU UNIVERSE! FOR REAL!

I think there are more magical things going on around us than we are aware of.


And nowwww, I am boarding for Maryland.
Off to a week of crazy kid fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment