Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Graduating and New Bands

 



As graduation approaches, I really don't know what my next step in life is going to be. I was dead set on moving to Chicago for the last two years, because I fell in love with the city during an improvisation intensive...and thennnnn I went to California. Perfect weather. A good foundation of friends living there already. Earthquakes? Eh. Whatever.

One of my best friends and I have started working on a pilot--and I think that it could be successful  Yeah...I'm aware that EVERYONE says that, but LA is the place to be. But commitment scares me. I can't even read one book at a time. Moving scares me. I fall UP the stairs! I mean I want to leave Gainesville as soon as possible, BUT WHERE TO?!?!

There was something about Italy that made me feel creatively alive. I wasn't bogged down by school stress, or show stress, or whatever other type of stress there is out there. I felt alive. I felt free. [Insert other hippie-shit phrase here] I just feel like Not-America is where I need to be. Maybe I'll look into graduate programs or something--there are so many places I want to go.

Like Iceland!
Bjork and I could be best friends. She's crazy and creative. Maybe she will cast me as puking glitter tree in her next music video. 

Or Norway!
How can you be depressed living there! Except maybe for that guy...hopefully he didn't jump. Yikes. 

Or France!
Look at The Gardens at Marqueyssac. I want to be all up in that! This is where the oompa loompas live. I swear. Sigh. 

I'm currently reading a book called Writing the Pilot, and it has actually been extremely helpful. It's teaching me how to analyze successful pilots, and tv shows, and why they have had the success that they have had. So this is all great--but the more I think about post-graduation...I don't exactly picture myself in a cubicle--I also don't expect something to fall into my lap, because let's face it--that rarely happens--my parents aren't rich and I don't plan on sleeping my way through a company sooooo.....I just don't know.

Part of me wants to move to LA, and start my life--I could  hopefully get a job/internship with a major network company, and after years and years of hard work, work my way up and hope that someone will look at my script. The other part of me, and I would say 85% of me, wants to leave the country, teach all over, pay off my student debt within two years and travel the world.

The scale is easily unbalanced on this decision. I don't know what to do. Hell I know what to do, graduate and book some job in China--but that's a big decision, and shouldn't I find something more stable? Find a place that I can call my home? Have somewhere to return to? I guess I will give the summer a go and see what happens.

It's funny, the more and more I look at my room the more shit I give away, and the more shit I give away, the more I realize how little I could live with (aside from a few dozen books and my instruments.) This has been one of the greatest lessons I have learned from traveling. We really don't need much at all, and we often spend our money on unnecessary things. I guess I'm guilty of this too--if you see me at Trader Joes--I will have AT LEAST 5 different types of cheese in my cart. Go Figure. But really. Donate something. Donate lots of things--and I guess be kind to people too.

Here are so new bands I found, maybe you'll like them, maybe not. 

Serafina Steer - Disco Compilation 
She plays harp, and she's funny. 

And....
Nadine Shah - Aching Bones
I couldn't post the video for some reason.







No comments:

Post a Comment